Friday, June 26, 2009

Mt Rushmore

Our trip to Mt Rushmore was AWESOME! We had such a great time. It was really breathtaking to see.

Trenton and Kylee had both been wanting to see it, especially Trenton for a few years. Then when he watched National Treasure 2 he thought he had to see it. I am so glad that my dad was able to go with us.

This was the model that they were using. Gutzon Borglum started in 1927 and then he died in 1941. The government had to stop work on it because of WWII. Then in 1945 they declared that it was finished. They thought that no one should continue Borglum's work - you would never try to touch up a Picasso. So we just have the faces but they are so cool to see.


This was one of the kids' favorite exhibits in the museum. You pick a section of the mountain on the computer then push the plunger down to set off the dynamite. Then on the screen you see the original blast and hear all the sound effects.

Everyone had to get into the action and blast away part of Mt Rushmore.



Like I said everyone had to get into the action.


This picture fascinated Kylee. I mean Fascinated!!!! She loved the picture of how big the nose is. She had to keep coming back and back. When one of the rangers told her that some of the rangers still get to repel down once in a while to check on everything--- she added something to her things to do in her life: Become a Park Ranger and be able to repel off George Washington's nose.

Here are some of our favorite memories:

BRYCE: I love walking on the President's Trail. It was so peaceful and you got so close to the presidents.

KRISTIE: I loved seeing my family's faces. It is fun to be able to share it with them. I am also glad that Dad came with us. I love learning more about the Presidents that were chosen and why they were chosen.

George Washington: He represents the birth of our nation. He was one of the men that was inspired by God to build this great nation.

Thomas Jefferson: He was also at the birth of the nation, penning the great words in the Declaration of Independence. But he also represents the expansion of the country. It was under his presidency that we made the Louisiana Purchase doubling the size of our nation.

Theodore Roosevelt: He represents the conservation of our nation. He started so many National Parks and set up programs to save the beautiful country for all of us to see. He also moved forward by building the Panama Canal.

Abraham Lincoln: He preserved our great nation and brought us through the darkest time in America history. He made the founding fathers words that all men are created equal ring true in this country. He brought us through the deadest war to keep us together. Like our founding fathers he knew that this nation should be "One Nation Under God"


Trenton: It was all so breath taking, marvelous and cool. To see something that represents so much our our nation's history is awesome. It reminds me that this is a great nation and I need to be a better citizen. It was so much work. Also, I loved learning everything in the Rushmore Ranger program.


KYLEE: I loved the picture of the nose. I also loved learning so much things that make this country great. Jr Ranger Program was awesome.


CODY: I loved doing the dynamite blast. That was fun. I also loved doing the Jr Ranger and learning about the Mt Rushmore. I also liked teasing Kylee about wanting to pick the nose.


GRANDPA: I loved seeing the Presidents with my grandkids. I loved learning that 90% of the carving was done by dynamite. They could get in within inches by blasting it with the dynamite.


This little cave is along the President's Trail.



Here we are at the base of Mt Rushmore. That is a lot of Granite they blasted away.


Here is the Ranger quizzing they kids on the stuff. She said she does so many of these everyday and had never seen so much above and beyond. For instance, there is a blank map of the country. You are supposed to but a star by you home state. Trenton and Kylee filled in all the state names. The ranger jokingly said, "What no capitals?" Trenton and Kylee said, "The map was too little but we can name them all for you if you like." She laughed and asked them a few. Trenton wrote a poem about Mt Rushmore that she loved. She called a few more rangers over and they want him to email it to them. They all love the Jr Rangers, well Trenton needs everyone to know he did the Rushmore Ranger Program not the Jr Ranger.
Here are my two Jr Ranger and my Rushmore Ranger with their badges.

It was such a fun trip. Here we are at the Hall of Flags. We all left Mt Rushmore feeling blessed to be Americans.

4 comments:

Adrian and Danell said...

Very Awesome! Great pictures and great memories for all of you! I am with Cody, I would have been teasing Kylee about picking the Pres. nose! Looks like fun, you will have to go again when my kids get older!

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

Awesome!!! You have just made me really want to go there. I loved the pictures. The lake looks sooooo beautiful. Glad you had fun.

andrew's mom said...

I have learned so much about Mt. Rushmore just from reading your blog! Always wanted to go there myself and now I REALLY want to go. Thanks for sharing your family fun!

The Dell Family said...

I want to hear this poem!!! Way to go Trenton!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online