Sunday, November 9, 2008

Black Walnuts

My Uncle Jerry and Aunt Laura sent us a box of black walnuts that they picked in Kansas. I was so excited. I have had black walnuts once with Uncle Arnold. Anyway I was excited to share this with my children. This was something that they had never done before. I have meaning to post this a while ago but things have been crazy so better late than never. Black Walnuts are not like other walnuts. You cannot open them with a nutcracker. You need to bang them with a hammer. My kids loved this! They had a blast beating the walnuts with a hammer. How many times do you get to hit your food with a hammer. Anyway the digging out the meat was fun, but not as fun as hitting and breaking them open. I was surprised that we ended up with as much as we did because the we ate a lot too. Anyway I have some great nuts to make fudge with this Christmas. Cody took some to school for Show and Share. He showed everyone how to do it. They thought it was so neat. Anyway I have to thank Uncle Jerry and Aunt Laura for this fun experience. They are always looking for fun things for my children to try. My Uncle Jerry always tells me to remember that these are the times my children will look back as the "good old days." I am glad that he is helping make their "good old days" full of new adventures; I know that he made my "good old days" lots of fun. So thanks again for the Walnuts!

4 comments:

Brett said...

Looks like you had fun. wish you would have us over.

The Dell Family said...

So are you telling me they are just regular Walnuts that have sat around way toooooooo long and turned black and hard.

The Dell Family said...

IF you couldn't tell that last comment was from JOn! That's a lot of walnuts. HOw nice they are to send those to you

Unknown said...

I miss the good old days! Looks like fun!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online