Every spring break we head to Kansas to visit my Great Uncle Arnold and my Uncle Jerry and Aunt Laura. It is a time, that I love.
Taking Us In:
I think one of my favorite views in the world is the driveway of the farm. I cannot describe it, but it is like going home. Growing up, it was always a big deal to be the one that drives us into the farm. After 8 hours in the car it is the best feeling to see and drive down the driveway. When Trenton got his permit in February, the first thing he said was, "This year I get to take us in to the farm." So here he is- taking us in. I have heard the story of the old driveway that went through the pasture many times. My dad's grandpa would ask him to ride with him into town so he could open the gates. My dad never did want to until his Grandpa would promise him ice cream, then dad was so happy to go. This year dad showed us all where the ice cream parlor where gramps took him. I have walked the old driveway before, but this year Grandpa took all of us one the driveway walk. Kylee made the comment, "This is the best history lesson." I noticed Cody's shoe was untied so I bent down to tie it tight for him. "Mom, hurry up! I have to hear what Grandpa is saying!" They loved listening to all the neat stories. But, one neat thing that was my dad talked about how much he loved this old driveway and that it was one of his favorite views. It is funny what we love.
I remember when I was little, I thought I was so cool when I drove the tractor. I thought I was a real farmer. I was doing something that my friends never got to do. I see that in my children's faces when they drive. It is always a favorite thing to do.


My dad may be 70 but he is still great with an axe!
Kylee has great determination. She saw this tree taller than she was and decided she was taking it down. She started by taking the branches off so she could see it better.
We all teased her that we would check on her the next day, but after about 10 minutes of hard chopping it cam down. I could not have been more proud of her.
Cedars can take over a pasture unless you keep up on them. Cutting them before they get to big. I have cut cedars all of my life and my kids actually love it.
My kids love catching frogs. We only saw them on the first day we were there. It was 80 degrees but the next day it was only 48 so the frogs went away. But we had a great time.
Here is Trenton with is bullfrog in his net.
Here is Kylee's little frog she caught.
It is nice to see my kids just playing around. They played football, frisbee and threw the baseball around.
Playing the Piano:


As a kid, I loved playing in the Green Machine (grain trailer) both when it was empty and filled with wheat. There is a doctor in Kansas still telling my story. I was swimming and playing in the wheat with my sisters. Later my ear starting hurting. My mom took me to the doctor only to find that I had wheat in my ear. He told my us, "I have been a doctor out here in rural Kansas for a lot of years, and I have never dug wheat out of someone's ear!"
My kids love giving Uncle Arnold and the other residents at the nursing home a concert.
As a kid, I loved playing in the Green Machine (grain trailer) both when it was empty and filled with wheat. There is a doctor in Kansas still telling my story. I was swimming and playing in the wheat with my sisters. Later my ear starting hurting. My mom took me to the doctor only to find that I had wheat in my ear. He told my us, "I have been a doctor out here in rural Kansas for a lot of years, and I have never dug wheat out of someone's ear!"
This year my kids came up with a new game. Someone would sit at the bottom and roll baseball and softballs. If you got tagged you were it.



Track Training:
While dad and I were walking the driving, Trenton was running it. He was training for track.
Here is Trenton and me running sprints in the barnyard.
Throwing Knives:
Last year when we were at Uncle Jerry we had a knife throwing contest. Then for Christmas, Uncle Jerry gave Dad some throwing knives. So, Dad brought them out to the farm. My kids loved it. It gave them lots of entertainment.
While dad and I were walking the driving, Trenton was running it. He was training for track.
Last year when we were at Uncle Jerry we had a knife throwing contest. Then for Christmas, Uncle Jerry gave Dad some throwing knives. So, Dad brought them out to the farm. My kids loved it. It gave them lots of entertainment.
1 comment:
What a fun post to read. Glad you guys had a fun time and WHAT TRENTON IS OLD ENOUGH TO DRIVE! I can't believe how fast he is growing up and to think I remember so well holding him in mom and dads room by myself playing with him. It seems like yesterday. : (.
Post a Comment