Friday, April 30, 2010

Our Visit to Uncle Arnold's Farm

My great Uncle Arnold is the best. Can you believe he is 91? It is still hard for me to see him in his wheelchair. He has always been so active, but his spine has started bothering him a couple of years ago. It is still so much fun to spend time with him. He still amazes me.
WORK
Whenever we visit the farm we like to do work. We fixed some of the out buildings and cleaned the mud out of the machine shed. But the funnest and biggest project was cleaning up the yard. There was a big storm that blew a tree down, there was branches everywhere. We also trimmed the trees and cut out the dead. Then we loaded them up in the tractor and took them out to the wood pile in the pasture. We made 7 trips and it took us 7 hours, but it was worth it seeing how nice the yard looked.

The kids love riding in the basket.

Here are the big boys cutting up the tree that was blown over.

Bryce loves using a chainsaw.

My kids all think that they need to carry the biggest piece.

See what I mean?
Okay I had to grab a big branch too.
Loading up the basket.

So Uncle Arnold was enjoying the sun and watching us work. While we were working, Dad said to Uncle Arnold, "I know Gramps and Grandma are looking down from heaven smiling. They are loving that we are cleaning this up and making it look so nice." To which Uncle Arnold responded, "They are looking down at me saying, "Why isn't Arnold doing anything.?" We all just laughed. I have never known anyone who worked harder all his life than Uncle Arnold. When I was little it always amazed me how strong he was - he would carry 2 five gallon buckets full of water to water the pigs. He made so many trips. I could not even carry one full of water. I thought he was superman.
Trenton loved being able to drive the big tractor.
My kids love riding on the tractor just like I did when I was little.
Ready to go out to the tractor.
My Uncle Arnold used to do card trick that I thought was the coolest. Now my kids love it.

I remember when I was little I loved playing with these big weeds. They make the best the swords.
Cody's favorite thing to play in was the Green Machine. Cody was always climbing up.
I love playing in the Green Machine and now I love seeing my kids play in it.
Cute kids!
My kids love trying to catch frogs. Sadly there was only one frog out the whole time.

Jumping Haystacks is always so much fun.

I just wish the haystacks were not disappearing.

Dad bought some gas so the kids could drive the tractor. My kids loved it. Thanks Dad!
Here is grandpa teaching Cody how to drive. Cody could have driven the tractor all day. He loved it! Grandpa taught him how to drive, but I taught Trenton and Kylee while him Uncle Arnold watched. I have to admit that Cody was the best. Trenton almost took out the corn crib and Kylee almost drive into the old pig pen. When we got home Cody was telling a friend about it, "I was the best driver because my Grandpa, he is the best driver teacher. My mom taught Kylee and Trenton, so they were not as good." Thanks Cody!
I always thought Dad was so cool when he did this. Kylee thought Grandpa was cool.
Like mother like daughter.
Here are Cody and I going out. When he was driving he would say, "Grandpa taught me this. Grandpa said to do this. Grandpa said this!" Oh brother I wanted to throw up!
Here Kylee is driving all by herself.
Trenton looks cool!
I love this picture of the kids down at the bridge.
I am so lucky!
The farm has changed since I was little. There are no pigs, the cows are gone, there is no wheat to play in, etc but it is still so much fun. I love watching my kids just have fun together. It is such a fun time to spend together. Some of the best memories I have as I child were here, now as a mom I am making great memories with my kids.

3 comments:

Adrian and Danell said...

Love the pictures and the trip down memory lane! I miss the farm and Uncle Arnold!

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

Looks like you had some good weather while you were there. That is always so good. Glad that you had a lot of fun.

Brett said...

Glad to see that Arnold got to spend sometime at his farm and sit in his chair.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online